Here listed are the Virtues of Djedism. No one here claims to embody all of them perfectly. That isn't the point. Rather these are desirable qualities that the adherent contemplates and works toward integrating into their daily lives as a part of their path way toward conscious self mastery.
It is important to note that no claim is being made about this list being comprehensive...there is no doubt many more qualities that are desirable in a persons daily life. The list is given in NO particular order and no one is saying that the virtues listed at the top are anymore important or meaningful than the ones at the bottom of the list.
VIRTUES of the COVENANT
· Mysteriousness:- By Mysteriousness we mean keeping yourself from being fully revealed. Holding something back in reserve. By holding your perspective back somewhat you are in a position of power when dealing with other people as they are not able to fully grasp or appreciate where you may be coming from. Of course this may not always be desirable.
· Tranquillity:- Stillness.
· Effectiveness:- Being effective when you are applying yourself to any given task.
· Courage:- Having a stout heart, or having heart. Remember courage is not the absence of fear…rather it is carrying on in the face of it.
· Receptiveness:- Being open to receive.
· Sensitivity:- Being able to FEEL your way through things.
· Sobriety:- Keeping control of yourself. Having a sober mindset. If you must drink or get stoned…don’t allow yourself to lose control. Handle yourself.
· Belonging:- Having a sense of place. Knowing where you fit in in the scheme of things.
· Purpose:- Having a clear intention. Having a plan of action and a will to pursue it. Having an agenda.
· Vitality:- Having LIFE.
· Potency:- Having personal power. Being powerful.
· Liberty:- Being a free agent. Being free to choose in your will and way.
· Truthfulness:- Having a basic sense of honesty in yourself. Especially when it comes to your relationship with self.
· Fairness:- Being meaningfully just.
· Love:- Allowance, Agape.
· Charity:- Being generous, doing somethings for the betterment of others.
· Joy:- Happiness.
· Strength:- To be strong in will and way.
· Virtue:- To have meritorious qualities.
· Honour:- Having respect in giving and receiving.
· Reputation:- Cultivating and keeping good repute.
· Sovereignty:- Nobility. Rank. Command.
· Diligence:- Careful and/or persistent self application.
· Non-Attachment:- This one was originally going to be labelled “POVERTY” but we didn’t like the possible connotations that might be perceived in that. Non-Attachment is a letting go. Not being possessive of people, places, material concerns in general, possessions. Do you own your possessions or do they own you?
· Self-Mastery:- This one goes hand in hand with Sovereignty. Realise that YOU are the Master of Self. By virtue of the fact that you have a God given right and obligation to Choose who, what, where, how, when and why you are…you are the creator of your experience. With the universe you CO-CREATE your and each others realities. This squarely makes YOU the Master of yourself…whether you know or you don’t. Also Self-Mastery implies that in as many ways as you are able…be Masterful. Take your power back. Don’t give your personal power away. Attain to excellence in your will and way!
· Wisdom:- Having good judgement and sensible thinking/insight.
· Patience:- To be able to hold your temper in the face of delay or adversity.
· Providence:- Making timely preparations for future affairs. Anticipation.
· Discipline:- Being able to hold true to a given code (of behaviour), or system, like the Djedi Covenant for example.
· Intelligence:- Having a good ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.
· Integrity:- Being (W)holistic and undivided.
· Duty:- Duty and Service go hand in hand. Duty is the obligation/s and responsibilities we share with each other, to each other.
· Frugality:- Being economical with ones energies.
· Kindness:- Acting from a position of compassion for yourself and others.
· Intuition:- Having instinctive understanding of things without conscious reasoning.
· Talent:- Having a natural aptitude or skill at something.
· Service:- Realising that “We ALL serve something” in the greater scheme of things calls us to choose what we wilfully serve. A Djedi is a servant in every way…the trick is serving yourself AND others in the same. Serving your own highest good is in the interests of everyone else and it is in accord with the greater way of the universe. Something to consider. It isn’t selfish to do thy true will…it’s an act of service.
· Self-Reliance:- Relying on your own resources and energies is important. When others invest themselves in you…they are generally “BUYING” something…like a stake in your pie. This is the key to remaining Independent.
· Stability:- Being stable, or steady.
· Audacity:- Being bold. “Fortune favours the Bold”.
· Appreciation:- Being appreciative. Apprehending or grasping…getting the point…understanding. Thankfulness.
· Dexterity:- Being skilful at performing tasks.
· Authority:- Being the Master in the Temple. Standing in a position of Masterhood.
· Chastity:- Often this word is used to refer to the total abstinence of sexuality. However here it is used to mainly address having a mastery over the base drives of your animal being/nature. This includes sex…but is not limited to it. We are not saying abstain from sex…rather don’t be driven or controlled by the base urge/s completely.
· Volition:- Having the faculty or power of using/applying ones Will.
· Focus:- The action of concentrating interest or activity on something.
· Compassion:- Realising that the concerns of others are shared by you. Common-Passion…literally the realisation of just what you really do have in common concern with others. One thing has everything to do with the other.
· Creative Imbalance:- Totally evenly balanced forces result in stagnation. Nature uses imbalances to keep things dynamic. Extremes are to be avoided. But slight imbalances are definitely creative.
· Contemplation:- Being deeply reflective and thoughtful.
· Resolve:- Be decided firmly upon a course of action.
· Rectitude:- Being moral. Righteousness.
· Gravitas:- Having a serious or solemn nature.
· Prudence:- Being cautious…understanding the potential consequences of a given course of action.
· Loyalty:- Being true to your allegiances.
· Flexibility:- Being adaptable.
· Modesty:- Being unassuming about your abilities.
· Humour:- Have a good sense of humour. Be able to take the piss out of your self.
· Attentive:- Be polite and well mannered to others.
· Vigilance:- Be alert to potential dangers or difficulties.
· Temperance:- This one goes with Chastity. Practicing abstinence from drinking or drug use. Again it is about mastering your drives and compulsions.
· Tenacity:- Determination.
· Communication:- Being able to convey what you mean to others clearly and effectively.
· Unity:- Being united or whole. The Unity Chakra is being referred to here also…but that is for another time.
· Peace:- Having Spiritual, Mental, Emotional and Physical calmness. Even in the midst of chaos.
· Dignity:- Having a worthiness of honour and respect.
· Knowing:- Being in a state of awareness, being fully informed.
· Presence:- Having and impressive appearance or manner. Also, more importantly…practicing the omnipresence of Source. Feeling yourself being present with it.
· Skill:- Doing whatever you do Well. With expertise.
· Craft:- This is referring to The Magickal Way of the Djedi. A system of Magickal application.
· Artfulness:- Having a creative way.
· Custodianship:- Being a Keeper. In the case of the Djedi…one is a Keeper of the Peace…Literally the Pax Johannus. Moreover, a Djedi is a custodian rather than an owner of things.
· Sincerity:- Having an absence of pretence, deceit and hypocrisy.
· Tolerance:- Allow others their differences (within proportion).
· Maturity:- Being fully/well developed.
· Community:- Common-Unity. Says it all really. This is a part of having a sense of belonging or place. We are made up of communities and are ourselves parts of greater communities. From sub-atomic particles, to atoms, to molecules, to cells, to organs and to the whole beings that we are…then we have the communities of family, friends, local community, state, national, international, solar, galactic and universal to name but a few. ALL levels of community are INTEGRAL…wholes within wholes ad infinitum.
· Humility:- Being genuinely modest.
· Resourcefulness:- Being able to find quick and clever solutions to any and all immediate problems before you.
· Competence:- Being successful and efficient at whatever you apply yourself to doing.
· Reliability:- Being trustworthy. Consistently performing well.
· Responsibility:- Being accountable for your Feelings, Thoughts, Words and Deeds. Taking charge or command and accepting the consequences accordingly.